OPENING JANUARY 28th 2017
Location: The National Portrait Gallery
Explore! Children’s Museum of Washington, DC, in collaboration with The National Portrait Gallery, opens its first-ever space dedicated to children.
In Explore! with the Portrait Gallery, kids can experiment with portraiture in an age-appropriate way to answer questions such as “What is a portrait?” “How do I see myself?” and “How do others see me?”. Young visitors will be able to trace each other’s silhouettes, strike a pose for a projected video art piece, and experiment with expression and emotion by building faces out of illustrated blocks.
Explore! with the Portrait Gallery is intended for
children ages 18 months to 8 years old accompanied by an adult. The exhibition will be located on the first floor of the museum. Activity text will be presented in English and Spanish.
Hours and Tips for Visiting
● Explore! with the Portrait Gallery will be open Tuesday to Sunday 11:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Hours subject to change.
● The exhibition is located on the first floor of the National Portrait Gallery. Click here for directions.
● Explore! with the Portrait Gallery is designed for children and caregivers to experience activities together. Adults must stay with their children.
● All children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
● Explore! with the Portrait Gallery is for children ages 18 months to eight years old and those who accompany them.
● Food and drink may not be consumed in the exhibition. Nursing and bottle feeding is allowed.
● Strollers are not allowed in the exhibition. They may be stored down the hall in the locker/coat room adjacent to the F Street entrance. The Portrait Gallery is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
● Visitors who intentionally compromise the safety of the exhibition or its occupants will be asked to leave.